Great results can only be obtained with proper aftercare. Our laser technicians promise to deliver safe and effective treatments with the best technology, but none of that matters if you don’t take important care of your skin after leaving our clinic. Proper aftercare is necessary to prevent unwanted side effects and infection. Below are a few general guidelines to follow when taking care of your skin after a treatment. Patients will receive a take home aftercare instruction sheet following each treatment session.*
- Keep the treated area clean and dry during the healing process. Gently clean the area with soap and water, then pat to dry. Keep the treatment site bandaged with antibiotic ointment the first three days following your treatment.
- Blisters and scabs are common side effects to the procedure and are actually telling signs that your body is working to remove the ink from your skin. These side effects will heal on their own time. Do not try to speed up the healing process by picking or popping any scabs or blisters that form. Doing so may lead to infection and more serious unwanted side effects. Protect the area by applying ointment for at least 24 hours after blisters have popped naturally on their own.
- Any activities that lead to soaking of the treated area should be avoided – that includes baths, hot tubs, swimming activities, etc. Showers may be taken at least 2 hours after your treatment, but avoid direct contact between the treated area and high pressure water.
- Itching, redness, and swelling are common side effects. Applying a cold compress or ointment such as Neosporin, Aquaphor, or Vitamin E ointment can help alleviate discomfort. Tylenol may also be taken for inflammation, but avoid taking aspirin as it can lead to risks of bruising or bleeding.
- Avoid sun exposure or tanning activities. Apply sunblock with SPF 25 or higher for 3 months after the treatment site has healed. Wear appropriate clothing to conceal the treatment site when in the sun to avoid discoloration.
- Exercise is safe and encouraged as long as all other aftercare tips are followed. Drink plenty of water and massage around the treated area to increase blood flow and boost your immune system for faster fading.
* Individual Results May Vary